Hill Strategies Research is a Canadian company that specializes in applying social science research methods to the arts sector.
High quality arts research
Our track record of top notch arts research comes from our strong understanding of issues faced by the arts community, in-depth knowledge of information sources, and extensive contacts in the arts sector. Our deep-seated desire to serve the arts community drives us to develop important insights from our research.
Hill Strategies’ founder and President, Kelly Hill, has 20 years of quantitative and qualitative arts research experience. Over this time, Kelly has prepared over 300 reports and presentations on the arts and culture, giving him an unparalleled knowledge of the Canadian arts sector and arts-related statistics. In fact, Hill Strategies Research and Kelly Hill have become widely respected across Canada and internationally as a leading authority on arts research.
Hill Strategies’ expertise includes:
- Rigorous and appropriate research methodologies
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Synthesis of complex information into clear reports, ensuring accessibility for those who are not experts in statistics and economics
- Ability to conduct bilingual arts research projects
- Effective communication with the public, the media, our subscriber base, and funders
- Knowledge of sources of research and statistical information on the arts
- Ability to identify gaps in existing arts research, examine reports from other sectors for research ideas, and develop appropriate research topics
Exceptional understanding of the arts
Hill Strategies’ experience has allowed us to develop an exceptional understanding of arts disciplines, the situation of artists, and the contribution of the arts to Canadian society.
We have conducted qualitative and quantitative research into various arts disciplines, including:
- Media arts
- Publishing, reading, and writing
- Visual arts
- As well as many research projects covering the whole arts and culture sector
Kelly, a fluently bilingual anglophone, has become a sought-after resource person by artists, arts organizations, the media, governments, cultural planners, and other researchers. Kelly has had the opportunity to do research projects, talk to artists or arts organizations, give presentations, and conduct discussion group sessions from coast to coast, including Whitehorse, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Kamloops, Nelson, Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Windsor, London, Kitchener, Hamilton, Brantford, St. Catharines, Guelph, Oakville, Mississauga, Toronto, Kleinburg, Barrie, Orillia, Midland, Tottenham, Owen Sound, Ottawa, Gatineau, Montreal, Sherbrooke, Quebec City, Moncton, Halifax, Charlottetown, and St. John’s.
International research endeavours have taken Kelly to the United States, England, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, and Denmark. In addition, Hill Strategies’ mailing list includes subscribers from 54 countries around the world.
Prior to founding Hill Strategies Research in 2002, Kelly gained a solid knowledge across the art forms as Research Manager at the Ontario Arts Council. Kelly’s academic background focused on socio-economic research and analysis: he obtained an MA in Political Science from Western University and a BA in Economics from Université Laval.
Our arts research work has allowed us to work with an outstanding range of clients.
Custom research projects
Each year, Hill Strategies Research takes on a limited number of custom projects – projects that are interesting and fit our skills and busy schedule.
We have experience designing surveys and interview protocols, analyzing qualitative and quantitative research information, and - most importantly - reporting results in a clear and accessible manner. At Hill Strategies Research, we always attempt to ensure that our research projects and reports are clear, concise and insightful.
Whether you want to …
- Gather information on the state of your sector;
- Gain insights into the place of the arts in your municipality, province or region; or
- Obtain valuable information on arts spending, attendees, consumers, volunteers or donors …
Hill Strategies will work with you to ensure that our research results fill your needs. This might involve a survey of your members or clients, interviews with key players in your arts sector, a sector profile, or research into the state of the field.